Monday, December 31, 2007

Rotten way to end the year...shakie and in the bathroom.

I have been having trouble managing my blood sugar for several months now. When the last big study on @v@ndi@ showed it could cause heart problems, I asked to be taken off it. The drug we tried instead didn't really work as well. Poor control means (aside from the long term damage to various body parts,) blood sugar spiking and the urge to eat everything in sight. There was another diabetes med that the endocrinologist wanted me on a year and a half ago, but it was too experimental then and my insurance didn't cover it. I had been seeing advertisements for it all over the TV for about a month, so I checked with the insurance company, and now it is covered. Yeah!!!

I asked this doctor (I have 4 other than my GP to monitor specific parts of my diabetes health.) if she though I show still try it. YES! she said, but there are side-effects.... (insert Duh duh duh-duh music here.) ....mild to moderate nausea is the most common, but loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, feeling jittery, and acid stomach are other potential door prizes. Apparently for most people who do have a "common side effect," it goes away after a few days. Except for the loss of appetite...most people taking this drug lose weight in the long run. Even though it means two more injections a day that have to happen no earlier than 1 hour before I eat breakfast and dinner, I'm giving it a whirl.

I was going to start it last week, but because of those side effects that could have me rushing to the restroom, I decided to wait until I was home. Started Saturday, and I have experienced them all to some degree since Sunday night, but the two "D's" the most. I have to caution myself, because let's not underestimate the power of my hypochondriac, fertile mind. Perhaps I'm only imagining most of the side effect because they have been fairly mild. Except the one big "D" that has me rushing to the restroom. I am NOT imagining THAT!

On the other (and more important hand,) my blood sugar readings are better...not perfect, just better. I will see if I can tolerate the drug for 30 days. If yes, the dose is doubled, if not.....not sure.

The only thing I have to get over now is I just found out the drug is derived from lizard spit. Those of you who know me,know how active my gag reflex is...I've had to swallow three times just writing this.

Well, anyway, Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry you're not feeling well - I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though, that this protocol evens out and helps you get where you want to be!