Thursday, December 25, 2008

Pretend it's still Christmas Eve....please

Okay, okay, only the fourth day of my vow to blog everyday for 2 weeks and I blow it....In my defense, Skeeter just wore me out!!! I went to bed at SEVEN. so lets use the "Way-Back machine" and pretend it is still Christmas Eve..........

Traditionally for my family Christmas meant a lot of time in a station wagon. Mom and Dad would pile us in the car. We would drive an hour to Grandma R's house and have a big pot lock with my mom's siblings and their family's. The food was always great, but the highlight was always that Grandma would make a bit pot of her homemade Chicken and Egg Noodles. And I mean HOMEMADE. Nobody could make noodles like my grandma.

After dinner, Aunt D would sit down at the piano and play Christmas songs and we would all sing along. When we got to "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", the MAN himself would come in to pass out presents. We (or our parents) exchanged names, so there was always a present from an aunt, uncle or cousin, but the best of all was always from Grandma. She would knit a hat or mittens to keep you warm (boring), but there was also a TUB of her dried fruit. Apples, peaches, and pears. Homemade. She had a good quality dehydrator long before the cheap ones were available on every other infomercial. Chewy and sweet, in jumbo recycled ice cream containers, they were always passed out with the understanding she would get them back in time for next year. Then it was time put on our jammies, lots of hugs and good-byes, then piling into the back of the station wagon into a makeshift "bad" of sleeping bags for the drive back home to our real beds and our own Christmas morning.

Okay, I'm going to take a break here, we will pretend it is time to go to bed on Christmas Eve, and I'll write more about Christmas day later.

Ta! Pretend to sleep tight!

No comments: